Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Trick or Treat

Being a monster I already know what it feels like when someone looks at me and is frightened. I don't look like a human, and neither does Abbot. Children, mostly, are afraid of us, and some adults think we're odd. This is why I thought Halloween would be a perfect holiday for me. For once I would be frolicking in the world, no longer as frightening as I have come to feel I am. I must say, I saw many scarier monsters than myself on that evening.
My maker told Abbot and I that Halloween is a time when we can change our identity for one day, and since I am basically considered a frightening fellow, I wanted to make sure I chose to change into something that wasn't so scary, like a super hero. My maker had raised her eyebrows at my request, asking if I'd like to be something a little more horrible. But I told her my philosophy and she conceded. Abbot, on the other hand, I think was a trifle confused by the concept. His first request was to be a rock. I had to explain to him again the concept of Halloween, and my maker had a little laugh over his request, claiming we just "don't get it", but, alas, she let us be what we chose. After the rock request Abbot did go through a string of possibilities: a washing machine, a boat, a can opener, a horse trainer, a hula hoop, and a tree branch, before settling on the funny papers. It was the lesser of the evils, my maker said.
Even out in the streets with children dressed as goblins, grim reapers, ninjas, and witches, Abbot and I stood out. We couldn't figure out why.
It was time to ring a doorbell and say Trick or Treat. I had to explain to Abbot, as my maker did to me, what the phrase meant and why we say it on Halloween to get candy. I just hoped we didn't get any tricks. We stopped at many houses and my maker had to explain who we were, because as much as we wanted to, we could not say the words "trick or treat". Not everyone can read our minds or facial expressions as our maker does. Some folks giggled, which made Abbot gargle, and some folks just didn't like us. But we are used to that by now, and my maker says those people don't have a sense of humor.
This sweet little girl named Clara liked us though, and she gave us treats. She had on a costume that made it look like she was riding a dinosaur. I liked that.
Clara dropped some chocolate into our pumpkin buckets, we thanked her, and we were on our way to more houses to say, well, telepathically anyway, Trick or Treat.
As we went from house to house Abbot became more and more frustrated with trick or treating and I didn't know why. It's as if he kept waiting for something more to happen, as if getting free chocolate wasn't enough excitement for him! But Abbot normally does have a lot of energy and a short attention span and I was concerned he was getting bored.
I pulled on my maker's coat and asked her if we could be finished because I thought Abbot had had enough. He had also had about 12 candy bars and may have been feeling ill. My maker said we needed to stop at one more house. When we approached this house my maker practically had to drag me up to the doorway. A man with a hockey mask sat on a bench on his porch, and in his hand was a basket of candy. This didn't seem logical to me because the porch was eerie and had spiders and witches and cob webs all about. Normally a hockey mask wouldn't sound like a frightening idea, but I don't know, the man looked terrifying, and to think he was the possessor of the candy didn't make sense. All the other homes we visited were barely frightening, but this made me ill at ease. My maker dragged me along, and I dragged Abbot along, and I honestly thought Abbot would lose those candy bars all over that sidewalk. He whimpered like a puppy with his tail between his legs.
My maker wasn't scared at all. She walked right up there (as Abbot and I left a fingernail scratched trail behind us) and introduced us to the masked man. He put some candy bars in our buckets and then reached his hand to his face to remove his mask. Abbot turned to my maker and buried his head in her pants, but I wanted to see what was underneath. And underneath was....was.....just a man. And he was a nice man. But the fact that he had so much candy left in his basket made me think that maybe he should leave his mask OFF. However, maybe his intention WAS to have a lot of candy left!
We had time for one last photo of the two of us before the sun set for the day. It had been exciting, but I was sad I wouldn't be able to change my identity for another year. Abbot continued to be squirmy about something, even though we had gotten home, which is where I thought he wanted to be. He doesn't talk very much by nature, but I asked him what was wrong. I was tired of guessing. Abbot looked at me and asked when we were going to trick or treat. I told him that's what we had just finished doing. But he was adamant, and tried again. "No," he said, "When are we going to Trick HER Treat?" I didn't understand at first, but then I realized Abbot had been waiting all day to Trick HER Treat, which I was not even sure what that meant. "What does that mean, Abbot?" I asked. "I don't know!" said Abbot, then he added, "I thought YOU did!"
My maker let us sleep in our costumes that night, and in the morning we dumped our candy buckets onto the floor. We ate a few pieces, and decided we didn't care for the granola bars someone gave us. We liked the Milky Ways the best, Funny, those are my maker's favorite too. Maybe that's why so many were missing by morning?
Until next time.







1 comment:

April said...

Oh Caruthers...I am Supposed to be shopping at the grocery Store but I would MUCH RATHER sit here and look at your TERRIFIC COSTUMES AGAIN AND AGAIN! And read this Terrific Halloween story!!! I must say I cannot stop GARGLING over Abbot's costume!!!! IT IS INSANELY WONDERFUL!!!!! And I adore the SCARY photos of the Hockey man and what a sweetie Clara is!!! Just the BEST HALLOWEEN ADVENTURE and I ADORE YOU BOTH!!!! Love from an Old Halloween Witch!!!!