Thursday, May 20, 2010

Gone Fishin'

I've been having so much fun at April's house, playing with Jane, Martha and Henry Doppleganger (who has really started coming out of his shell....however, he still sleeps a lot). We have been playing Wizard of Oz, hide and seek, sardines, tag (April put a kibosh on tag since it frenzied the dogs so much). We've been eating cereal out of the box, making forts under the chairs with blankets, staying up late and sleeping til 7:00am! Sometimes when everyone is asleep I think about Abbot. I've had to call him a couple times, and I've e-mailed him 4 times, but his replies are pretty much gibberish. I know what he's trying to say, that he misses me too, but he said he's been busy sneaking out the door, chasing squirrels, and having in depth conversations with the family dog, who has turned out to be quite an intellectual fellow. Who would have thunk? Abbot said he has a big surprise for me too, and he will e-mail it to me so that I can share it on my blog.
April took all 4 of us fishing one afternoon. Oh, it was very pretty by the creek. The weather has been very warm, much warmer than I'm used to, but near the creek it was cooler. The 4 of us ran to the edge when April pointed it out. April carried a bucket that was full of poles and string. We didn't know what she would do to us if we misbehaved. It was enough terror to keep me in line. She said not to get too close to the water and I listened. Poor Henry, though, was running so fast, caught one of his feet in a mud puddle, and slid just barely into the water. He dirtied his pants, and April gave him a discerning look. Then she sat down and started to tie some string to the end of a pole, and I wondered what poor Henry's punishment would be. I sat next to April and told her to please go easy on Henry, because when one is new to this world sometimes one gets a little overzealous. April smiled at me and told me that Henry would not be in trouble. She'd scrub his pants when we got home. The she continued to put more strings on more poles. She must have seen my confused look because she said the poles were for us. We were going to be fishing. This sounded interesting to me. I had only READ about fishing and, I must say, it sounded dreadful. I wasn't sure I liked the thought of using bait and hooks and hurting an innocent fish when it bit down on the hook. I realize that humans eat fish, and they eat the fish they catch, but I wasn't sure I wanted to be a part of that. But April added that we were only going to pretend and all we would catch would be a fine afternoon spent at the creek.

After April finished stringing the poles, she asked us to carefully hop into the bucket. The bucket would be our boat. I was scared we might float away in that bucket, tip over and drown, but Martha and Jane had no fear at all and flopped themselves into the bucket head first. They turned themselves upright, and then Henry leaped inside, which left me as the last to join in. My apprehension was getting the best of me, but I decided that I needed to try new things. I gingerly lifted one leg into the bucket, then the other. It felt wobbly, and I felt wobbly, but I sat myself in the corner. Martha gave me an all-knowing look, making me feel at ease. She held my hand, until April gave us our fishing poles, then she dropped it like a wet fish. We all held our poles and dangled the strings over the water. Then April lifted the bucket that contained us, and gently placed us on some rocks in the creek. She assured me I would not float away. Our strings followed along with us and got a little tangled in the process.

We sat there for quite some time, listening to the water tinkle beneath our boat. The rush of the water as it caressed the stones was so peaceful, I almost fell asleep holding my pole. Martha and Jane started poking each other after a while, and Henry accidentally let his pole drop out of his hands. He reached over the boat to grab it but it had floated on out of his reach. April had been reading a book under an oak tree and decided we had had enough at that point. She told us to pull our poles from the water to see if our "hooks" caught anything. She retrieved Henry's pole from the rock where it had been trapped and placed it back in his hands. We were all shocked and excited to see what we had caught!
April pulled us to the bank of the creek and we all skittered out of the boat. We dashed to the soft quilt that lay under the oak tree and spread out for a minute. Henry took up most of the space, acting all silly. He was going to be happy in his new home, I just knew it. Oh, if only Abbot were here right beside me. I think he would have liked fishing, as long as he could have filled his pockets with rocks, and maybe a toad or two.
April gathered the poles and string and we all walked back to her house, hand in hand.
Until next time.



2 comments:

April said...

It's so much fun to read about our day from Caruthers' viewpoint! It was an exciting experience-exactly as Caruthers describes. I almost expected to see a White Rabbit hurry by as we sat in the warm sun and felt the peace of the water. I must say these Woolies are a handful! I forgot about all the energy young "monsters" have!But we are, Indeed, having a terrific time!

DollZandThingZ said...

Waving hello to the fishers....glad you are having such a good time!