Monday, February 8, 2010

Reading is FUNdamental

There is definitely nothing more snugly to do than curl up with a good book on a cold day. Abbot and I took to reading a classic, The Catcher in the Rye, by JD Salinger (who recently died, by the way). We enjoyed the antics of Holden Caufield and could easily see how this coming of age story found it's high honor in the world of literature. I was surprised by some of the language and asked my maker why there was so much swearing, and was the swearing necessary. All she said to me was, "Caruthers, those are things a reader decides for himself. The reader has to figure out if he is offended or if the language makes the story more pertinent." I am not sure what she meant by that, but I think she wanted me to think for myself. Abbot, on the other hand, was not offended, having heard a lot of that language from his rambunctious cousins. Abbot doesn't swear, though. I like that about him. He's still quite quiet when we're hanging around, but now and then I tug on his ear or tickle his armpits, and he laughs in that silly gargle he possesses. It's so fun to be his friend and to share things with him...like books, conversation, and even boredom. We don't get bored too often, however. We always try to find something curious to entertain us. The other day we tried to see how many marbles would fit in Abbot's pockets. The problem was neither of us are very good at math, but his pockets were busting at the seams. Then we tried to see how many would fit in my mouth. Let me just say that marbles don't taste anything like chocolate. My cheeks were full, like a chipmunk in autumn. Spitting them back into the jar from where they came was another story.....
Until next time!

1 comment:

April said...

My goodness, Caruthers...I had no idea you and Abbot were such good readers! If you both like "Catcher in the Rye," here is another book I think you will enjoy...."Winnie the Pooh". It is very funny, like "Catcher in the Rye" and it has some strange words like, "Oh, help and bother!" and "Crustimoney Proseedcake." I don't know if those are cuss words or not but they certainly,"Make the story more pertinent." And how about some Valentines to put in Abbot's pockets?! You ask your maker about Valentines and she might just set you both up at the craft table with glue, scissors, construction paper, and paper dolies! (Hah hah...that is a silly word that should make Abbot gargle- "DOILEY!" So, you both can create some marvelous Valentines and put them in Abbot's pockets and give them out to people you love- (like ME!)