Thursday, February 25, 2010

Hanging Out In Trees

It looked like a beautiful day outside today. The sun was shining, displaying a brightness of which I had not seen a lot in the past few months since I've been here. Abbot and I have been so bored. We've pretty much gotten into all the trouble we possibly could in this house. We've found all the hiding places for the food, we've jumped on all the beds, gotten tangled in all the sheets, flushed things down the toilet (for which we know not where it all went!), played hide and seek in the appliances (Abbot, sorry to say, got singed when he fell asleep in the oven), and even terrorized the family's dog (I don't think he'll ever like us). We have tried many ways to escape from this house, checking all windows and doors for tiny openings though which we might be able to sneak, running as fast as we could slamming face first into the window, always to no avail. So, today Abbot and I had our noses pressed up to the window when my maker returned from work. She said we looked like abandonned pets, moping, with eyes glazed over leaving a smudge on the window. Then she to me, "Caruthers, do you and Abbot want to go outside for a little while?" Then she just opened the door wide and let us out into the snow. We ran like ink in the rain. There were some bald spots in the yard where the snow had melted and we ran first to them, instinctively thinking that would be warm ground. And even though it was a bit brisk outside, the air was fresh and clean. It reminded me of a mint, or some toothpaste (which made me ill when I tried it.....I didn't know one is supposed to spit it out after tasting!). The air filled the inside of me and I must admit I was a bit dizzy at first and I do not know why. My insides felt alive and cold, like each fiber was standing on end. Abbot and I, in an attempt to soak up some heat from the sun, perched in the hydrangea bush. It looked dead but my maker assured me it was alive. It couldn't be alive, though, because all the dried flowers rustled in the wind, and when I touched them they crumbled in my hand. I thought I would cry for having hurt an innocent flower. My maker must have heard me because she said, "Caruthers, do not be sad. It is true that those flowers have lost their life's blood, but in a few months you will see all the new leaves and new flowers that have come to replace them." She went on to explain about different plants and trees and seeds (Seeds!!), and the various lifespans of various plants, and said I would see for myself the glories of Spring soon enough. Her explanations helped my understanding of plants, but it still made me sad for the plants that died. Where did they go? And how is it that they live on even when they appear to be so dead? This world sure confuses me. I am not sure if I will ever understand it all. I am also not sure if I want to. It seems the more questions I ask, the more questions I have. Is it worth it to try to understand it all? I am not sure.
Abbot and I had our photo taken and scurried back into the house. The sun was throwing its rays sideways in the sky and the shadows that were cast were long. It was getting darker. Plus, we smelled pudding.
Until next time.

1 comment:

April said...

Hmmmmm...I have given this situation a lot of deep thought and I believe, Caruthers, that you and Abbot experienced a severe case of either Cabin Fever or Spring Fever! As far as I recall, from watching dramatic movies about Alaska and Illinois, Cabin Fever occurs when you have been snowed in for months on end and you begin to chew crazily on your own toes or your friend's toes...something like that. You torment innocent animals (Like dogs) and do strange things you would not normally do (See Monster antics described above). Or....you could be experiencing Spring Fever! That's when the sap starts running like ink in the rain and a young Monster's Fancy turns to pudding. Or perhaps you and Abbot had a touch of both fevers. Not to worry, the snow will melt soon and chocolate bunnies will be everywhere and the sleeping flowers will bloom again. In the meantime, hang in there and keep your toes away from Abbot.