Monday, February 1, 2010

The Family That Came To Stay (Briefly)

We had a few guests over the weekend. Abbot's cousins came all the way from Santa Fe, New Mexico to visit for a few days. As timid as I have made Abbot out to be is how unabashed his cousins are. They were rabble-rousers to say the least, very colorful characters, climbing all over the furniture, eating all the chocolates and stuffing cookies in their pockets, jumping out to scare my maker and her family from behind various corners and spaces. They snuck outside and terrorized the dog, took clothing out of the dressers to try on, jumped on the bed......I must say, I was truely shocked at their behavior. Then after all their antics were finished, and they had tired themselves (and the rest of us) out, they were cuddly and sweet as they snuggled up to each other on the couch, shared their crumbled cookies and melted chocolates, and caused uproars of laughter with their toothy smiles and blinking, colored eyelashes. They made themselves at home, taking turns sitting in my maker's lap with her hands clasped around their bellies, cooing like babies as they found a safe place to rest . But for all the commotion they caused I must say it was good for Abbot to see them. Paddy, Jonas and Scamp even got Abbot to pose for the photo standing on his ears. I enjoyed hearing Abbot's gargley laughter so often, and that made me laugh too. In all the time Abbot has been here he has not acted so silly. I guess when you feel comfortable, feel like you belong, it makes it easier to be yourself. My maker did manage to get the three scaliwags to sit still for a moment to take this photo for Abbot. Now Abbot may not feel so sad if he can stick a photo of his cousins in his pocket, and look at it when he's meloncholy. It makes me happy too, that Abbot will have something in his pocket. Isn't that pleasing that something so seemingly inconsequential can make me feel like I have some warm pudding in my tummy, and a little more for later.
Until next time.

1 comment:

April said...

Caruthers...reading about the three cousins makes me feel as happy as the colorful buttons on the one cousin's belly! (I don't know if that one on the right is Paddy, Jonas,or Scamp.) I LOVE their names and their antics. They sound like Huey, Dewey, and Louie...or Larry, Moe, and Curly! And I am so glad Abbot has a special photo for his pocket and you have warm pudding in your tummy. Oh, never put warm pudding in your pocket- not a good idea. What a wonderful weekend! Love you monsters!