Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Lights and Concerts

When my maker told me she was taking me to see some Christmas decorations and lights I was not nearly ready for I what I would see. In the car we drove past many houses covered with twinkling lights and displays. My favorite yards had what I came to learn was a manger scene. The scene is The Nativity, and it depicts the birth of Jesus Christ who lived long ago. Some people believe he still lives today. This is a concept I am trying to understand. I asked my maker to tell me all she knew about this Jesus person and she did. Hearing her explain this religion to me only prompted more questions. She said that is normal, and many people who believe in God and Jesus continue to have questions. However there is this thing called FAITH that helps them believe, even when everything seems unexplainable. So, after listening to my maker's commentary of the birth of Jesus, and viewing the many Nativities in folks' yards, I have come to realize that this whole Christmas season also has something to do with a baby named Jesus. I hope to find out more about that.
After pressing my nose to the glass of the car window for an hour, gazing at all the beautiful lights and colors , my maker actually let me get out and sit in the snow (again) and pose with the decorations. It was so dark outside, almost black, for there was no moon, but the lights in this one yard were bright enough to cheer up even the grumpiest of souls. I felt so honored to sit down amidst these time-honored traditions on display for the world to see.

I also had the pleasure of attending a local symphony concert. I sat in the balcony of the concert hall in the music building of one of our state universities. The music was brilliant and relaxing and I felt like I was in a dream. Most of the music, my maker told me, was traditional Christmas hymns and caroles sung at Christmas time. I enjoyed themes from The Nutcracker Suite, which I hope to hear again, and the Toy Symphony, a piece written for children at Christmas time. A nice young cellist paid me a visit at intermission, asked me if I was enjoying the concert, tickled my belly, and told me to have a Merry Christmas. Everyone I've met so far in my life has been so friendly toward me. I asked my maker why this was so. She said it must be because I am always smiling. "Sometimes life is hard, Caruthers," she said, "but a smile makes everyone feel better."

Christmas is less than a week away. My maker says there is still a lot for me to do and see. My eyes and ears are open. Until next time.

1 comment:

April said...

Merry Christmas, Caruthers!
You look right at home in the snow- except your ears look a wee bit cold...maybe you need a hat- or ear muffs. Although I'm not sure they make ear muffs in exactly your size. Maybe you could just glue some fleece to the outsides of 2 ice cream cones!
You are lucky to be brand new so you have a heart that can wonder and appreciate and radiate this time of year. I would love to go back to the simple star and the quiet belief and loving joy. Merry Christmas, sweet monster.